VR and dementia, Warframe/FO76 updates, more

Links:

Transcript:

How’s it going everybody, Adrian Simple here from The Gaming Observer, and this is your Daily Gaming Update for July 8th, 2019. thegamingobserver.com for links and a transcript.

Research beginning between VR and dementia

A fantastic article was just released on Eurogamer talking about the potential link between virtual reality and dementia. Basically, researchers created a VR environment for rats, making it as immersive as they could. And what they found was that the 60% of the rats neurons in the hippocampus simply shut down, and the remaining 40% were substaintially altered. This portion of the brain is responsible for spatial mapping, and it made them really confused because the rat seemed to do just fine navigating his way through the maze they put in front of it. Now, that’s just their first study, and we can’t really come to any conclusions just yet. Quote, “[The rat’s] vision is telling him he’s moving forward, his claws are saying he’s moving forward, but his sense of acceleration is telling him that he’s not going anywhere…And it’s that mismatch between different things that causes these neurons to fire abnormally.” The article then provides an explanation behind the science of it all, how it could affect things like dementia, and the validity of everything being studied. If you’re interested in more check out the VR app Sea Hero Quest, which will get you contributing to their research simply by playing a game.

Warframe‘s intro/tutorial is being revamped. Prologue directed by Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane)

Digital Extremes held their annual convention, which of course is focused around Warframe. The most interesting news for me is that they’re working on completely revamping the introduction to the game, which will help new players transition into regular play. Which is definitely needed as someone who has unsuccessfully attempted to navigate it. This includes a new tutorial, and a new intro video. This intro video was shown at the convention, and it was directed by Dan Trachtenberg, who also directed 10 Cloverfield Lane, which by the way is a fantastic movie starring John Goodman. It turns out he is obsessed with Warframe, and had a clear vision for what this intro should be. Either way it’s a great video, you should take a look, even if you don’t play the game.

Fallout 76 also revamping new player experience in Patch 11

Fallout 76 is also getting an update that will help ease players into the world. It’s called Patch 11, coming this month, and it will change the mechanics to be a lot more forgiving to new players. They’re also making a ton of QoL improvements for existing players. You gotta hand it to Bethesda, at least they haven’t given up on it.

Capcom releases mobile card auto-battler Teppen

Capcom has just released a new mobile title called Teppen. It’s an auto card battler, and lets you play some pretty iconic characters, such as Ryu, Megaman, and Dante. I don’t know how the game is, but the visuals are absolutely stunning. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such high quality graphics for a mobile game.

That’s all the news for today. A big thanks to Jason, Kay, and Geoff all for leaving me 5-star reviews on Amazon. My name is Adrian Simple, see you tomorrow, and Happy Gaming everyone!

Leave a comment