Telltale revival, CD Projekt H1 results, Yakuza 7, more

Links:

Transcript:

How’s it going everybody, Adrian Simple here from The Gaming Observer, for Friday August 30th, 2019. thegamingobserver.com for links and a transcript. Apologies for my absence yesterday, there was a lot of stuff going on, but now I’m excited because I get to talk about some video games.

Telltale Games being revived

I mentioned briefly, but Telltale Games is officially being revived under new owners. Now, it’s basically going to be run by entirely different people, but they’ve retained some of the IPs that the company had, including The Wolf Among Us and Batman. They said that some former Telltale employees have been offered freelance roles, with the possibility of full-time positions in the future, which is kind of a carrot on a stick, but hopefully they’re being sincere. The studio will be located in Malibu, and should begin developing games at least some time soon. This time around they won’t be publishing the titles, those responsibilities have been given to Athlon Games, who are working with Amazon on the LotR game. Hopefully the studio can come back and succeed in the places it formerly failed, while still of course maintaining the charm of their products. Best of luck to that team.

CD Projekt H1 financial results

CD Projekt have released its financial report for the first half of 2019, so six months. They’ve got improved numbers, pretty much as expected. Their development studio brought in 62% of the profit, mostly because of The Witcher 3 and the two Gwent-based games. GOG.com on the other hand brought in 38% of the profit, with the most transactions of the year thus far coming from Cyberpunk. That being said the Cyberpunk pre-orders will not be factored in to their revenue until it launches in April 2020. They’ve got strong numbers though, and a third of all PC preorders are happening on GOG, so I’m sure they’re happy about that one. Revenues overall were up 26% to 50 million euros.

Yakuza 7 changes things up, releasing early 2020

Yakuza 7 has officially been announced, and it looks like the series is taking a new direction. This time around there is no freeroam brawling, instead it will turn-based combat. Funnily enough this is actually something they teased on April Fools, and everyone just thought they were joking. Nope! The game comes out January 16th in Japan, and later in 2020 for the West.

Remasters announced for Aladdin and The Lion King

Sega Genesis orginals Aladdin and The Lion King are getting remasters. They’re being bundled together as Disney Classic Games, and are heading to all the consoles and PC. It’ll have upscaled graphics, key rebindings, a rewind function, a level select, and various cheat-like features as well like invincibility. The collection also includes multiple versions of each game depending on the platforms they were released on, as well as some behind the scenes material. They arrive October 29th, and is set for $30.

That is all of the news for today. I want to give a big thanks to Deivid and an anonymous user for leaving me 5-star reviews on Amazon. Anonymous also says that they started playing Crusader Kings II thanks to my reccomendation. That’s super humbling thank you so much, and hey if I’ve inspired any of you to pick up and play a game, let me know I’d love to hear it. I’ll be back tomorrow with the news, and until then, Happy Gaming everyone!

Leave a comment